Monday, January 21, 2008

Radiation



I met with the Radiation Oncologist today and I have decided to go ahead with radiation. He is going to have me do a 2 1/2 week low dose plan. I've weighed my pros and cons to radiation and the pros are on top. I know that I have been extremely adamant about not doing radiation and I think a lot of that is because I was scared. After talking to the doctor I feel much more comfortable in doing the radiation.

I have another appointment on Tuesday to undergo a simulation. The simulation is a process of measuring my anatomy and marking my skin to help direct the beams of radiation safely and exactly to the intended locations. After the simulation is complete, I will be given tiny tatoos to help align me correctly for each treatment. The tatoos are permanent but I'm being told that they are unnoticeable to most people. Hey, what's one more marking...between the scars I've gotten from all the procedures I've had during cancer, what is three little dots going to matter :)

I will keep everyone posted as to when I start and all that fun stuff. I hope everyone is doing well.

xoxo

4 comments:

Duane said...

Hey Mary Jane,

Checking in to see how you're doing.

Thinking of you. :)

Sanbandit said...

more tats woohoo haha. They don't hurt and look like little blue/black freckles. Not really noticible accept to yourself. Ask about the lovely gift of hair loss to the back of your head and it's probability. Sure you'll fly threw it grandly! And 2 1/2 weeks man will just fly by so fast!
take care
San

Sandi said...

well I guess I saw an older post through my google search. It seems you do update! I am glad to see that. I am going through all the same things as you. Sometimes it's nice to have someone to talk to. I finished radiation at the beginning of this month. I have my little *tattoo*. It's not bad at all. And I haven't had any side effects from the radiation at all.

hababyha09 said...

Hi iam Randi you do not know me but i hope every thing goes well for you. i had hodgkins lymphoma
4a. an raditation was the easiest part. i only had to get one tatoo i had stickers instead of tatoos.but i jus wanted to stay i hope evrything will go good for you. take care Randi