Thursday, July 05, 2007

A Little Too Much Energy

I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July. I haven't been on for a couple days so I thought I would update everyone on how my first treatment went.

I showed up at the hospital at 8:00 in the morning and didn't get leave until about 2:00 in the afternoon. The nurse Judy told me that my first treatment would take longer than the rest because they have to give me the medicine slow. As I mentioned before, my treatment consists of 4 medicines...I made it through the 3rd one just fine. When I was about half way finished with the 4th one, I started to feel a little nauseous. Needless to say, I ended up getting sick. The Oncologist Pharmacist had to give me special stuff to get my stomach to calm down. Judy was surprised that I had gotten sick. She said that they hadn't had anyone get sick that far through the first treatment. Leave it to me to be different.

I got home and pretty much slept the rest of the day. This was a nice change for me considering I haven't been able to sleep very well lately. I didn't feel any pain, I actually felt pretty normal again. I slept all through the night without waking once.

On Wednesday, the 4th of July, I got up and felt more energy than I had in a long time. Still no pain. I decided to put this energy to work :) Since I own my own business and work from home, it makes it easier to make up time that I've missed. After working on some files for a while, I started unpacking more boxes, cleaning the kitchen and also got some laundry done. It felt so good to get so much stuff done.

Josh made a really nice dinner for us and then we relaxed while waiting for the firework show to start. The show was suppose to start at 9:00 but didn't end up starting until about 9:30. To find out, our house is in the best spot. We sat on our front lawn and saw the whole show that the city put on. We're selling tickets next year :) just kidding! It was time to go to bed after the fireworks. I woke up this morning starting to regret the fact that I did so much yesterday. What was I thinking? Needless to say, I'm sort of paying for it. I think its time for me to go relax for a while.

XOXO

Jane

4 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Awww I'm sorry to hear you got sick! Any chance they gave you ativan before chemo? If not, you might want to ask for it - it's an anti nausea and it calms you down - it would make me go to sleep for a few hours while I was getting pumped with drugs, and kept me from getting sick - it was my chemo best friend.

I'm glad to hear you got to catch up on stuff, it was the steriods :) Just take it easy for the next few days and hopefully you'll be feeling like yourself by the weekend.

Thanks for the update, I've been checking your blog all week to see how you're doing!!

Unknown said...

Jane,
I am sorry you got sick. Take a day or two for some down time and hopefully you will feel better. When is your next treatment.
My oldest son was on a Chemo pill for 8 months and it was nasty stuff. He is now doing a 5 hour infusion of a different medication every 4-8 weeks. It doesn't make him sick anymore, just tired for a few days.
I know you will beat this, try to keep positive and hopefully they will be able to give you some sort of medication before your next treatment so you don't get sick again.
Hugs to you,
Karen Richartz in Oregon

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane! Sounds like you had a great 4th. It's good to hear that you have so much support from family and friends, although I'm not surprised!

Have you heard of Coenzyme Q10? It was developed in Japan after the dropping of the Hiroshima bomb, and is a free-radical scavenger which provides energy for the body's cell growth and maintanence. The reason I am bringing it up is because it is an antioxidant that stimulates the immune system and protects the heart from damage caused by chemo treatments.


You are in my thoughts and prayers, Holly

Anonymous said...

Hey Jane, Becky e-mailed your blog to me a few days ago. I'm so sorry. Do you know how you may have gotten Hodgkin's Lymphoma? After you battle this, you will be a much stronger person! You and your office supplies - you crack me up when you talk about trying to stay organized throughout this. Girl - you are the most organized person I have ever met!

Have you heard of Coenzyme Q10? It is an antioxidant that provides energy for the body's cell growth and maintenance. The reason I am mentioning it is because in the case of use with chemo, it stimulates the immune system and protects the heart from damage caused.

Jane, I am truly sorry that you have to go through this, but we can't pick our destiny. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Holly