Saturday, July 07, 2007

07.07.07


HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY JEN!!! This is your special, special day....07.07.07! I hope its a great one!

Yesterday, Nana, the girls and I met with the radiologist who will be putting my chest port in. He was very informative and let me know all my other options if I chose not to go with the chest port. I am definitely not one for the details when it comes to a surgical procedure so I asked him to leave that part out. :) He did ask that I commit to keeping the chest port in for a minimum of 1 year. I was concerned because my Infusion Nurse told me that they liked it in for 2 years. I don't really want to keep it after I beat cancer but I understand that it's important to be in remission before the port is removed. The doctor will be putting in the chest port right before my next Chemo Treatment. It will actually be the same day as my treatment; July 17th.

Today, Nana, Josh, the girls and I, made a trip to Costco. It was time to stock up on the bottled waters, cat food, toilet paper you know all the bulk items. I absolutely love going to Costco but I always tend to spend too much money. I did find a really nice portable umbrella. It's recommended by the American Cancer Society because of how well it protects you from the UV Rays of the sun. I figured when the girls are swimming in the pool, I can set myself a nice shade area up.
Well, I think its time for a little nap. Hope you're all having a great weekend.
xoxo
Jane

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Uhhhh, I didn't know they would leave that in that long. I am happy you are getting one though, all the nurses I work with say it will be much easier on you, than having that nasty stuff go through just your small veins. Tomorrow we are going to Tina's to help celebrate Jen's birthday. Then on August 11th, we are celebrating grandma & grandpa McTavish's 65th anniversary. It's hard to believe Dad & I are married 25 years this year, we've only got 40 more to go to catch up with them!!!! They are truly an inspiration to the rest of us. Gald you liked your trip to Costco, enjoy your nap, I love you, Mom

Kelly Kane said...

Jane, it's a bummer they're making you keep your port for a year - but honestly, you can be a bitch when you're in remission (usually before chemo ends) and make them take it out a few months after chemo ends, I was a giant bitch and wanted mine out the next day, which my doctor was going to allow me to do, but there was a scheduling problem and I had to wait until the following week. The port is awesome, less pain than getting shot up in your arms, I had tons of bruises and actually can still see part of my vein in my hand because of chemo. I got my port halfway thru chemo after I had enough. And, you might be feeling some arm vein pain this week while you're recovering, that won't be there for the next chemo since it's going into a big vein. Oh and I had chemo the same day as when I got it put in - piece of cake! :)

I'll warn you that it can feel weird with seatbelts, and some people say they've had them be in the way of their bra straps, so just make sure the dr and you talk specifics of location so it doesn't drive you nuts when you wear a bra.

Oh and kudos on getting the umbrella, we have been bringing one everytime we go to the beach -- but unfprtunately the wind broke it and we need a new one. Oh and I love Costco too! I would carry bottled water with me everywhere during chemo. What I also liked was crystal light lemonade, low calories and no caffine so you're keeping hydrated.

Anywho, sorry for the long comment, but I'm excited that you're getting your port!! Enjoy napping!!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! We
had a poker party last night, went to Tomato Street for dinner tonight and like mom said going to Tina's tomorrow! Sweet... 3 days of celebration! Ha! I am glad things seem to be going well for you... You are always in our prayers... Love you bunches! xoxo
Jen

Sanbandit said...

Good luck with the port. I highly recommend lidocaine and putting a bunch on about an hour before your treatment! Should numb it up so you barely feel it. Thoug some times it works, sometimes it doesnt. But if you put alot on it seems to work better!
I think my energy came from something called Reiki. I have a friend who's a practioner and have been going to him. I love it. But since he still costs $$ i have to cut back. so i'm sure my energy won't be so high comin up lol. I get pre meds before the chemo goes in and that usually keeps me going well too.
Nice job on the umbrella!! Wish i had a pool to put it up around lol!
enjoy your trips to Costco (what a great place) and your naps!
sandy

Anonymous said...

Jane,
I think it's awesome you're doing this website. You're right, not only will it help you get through everything, but it is totally opening my eyes to everything you're going through. You are an amazing woman! Rob and I think of you often. Take care, get lots of rest,
Cara

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane

You know how I always forget birthdays - well when I saw the Happy Birthday on your note I freaked. I though wait! who's did I miss now. Anyway - Hope your feeling strong. Hi Josh, Taylor and Hailey - how is the summer going? It's nice not going to school I bet. Jane, our love is right next to you. So keep going strong, keep smiling and rerember rhat rcooby rays....rmile rmile rmile... I know... what? Try it like scooby - it will make you laugh and someday I will tell you the scooby story. Uncle Paul, David, and Scot say "Love you"

AUnt Carol