Sunday, July 01, 2007

Chemo Consult

Yesterday was a little scary for me. We went and met with Connie (one of my nurses) to go over what I should expect during my Chemo treatments. Thanks to a new friend I've met, a lot of the information wasn't a surprise. Please check out her website at www.chemopalooza.com Her name is Kelly, she is 5 years younger than me to the day. We have the same birthday. She was diagnosed last December with Hodgkin's Lymphoma also.

The nurse gave me some hand outs on the medicine I will be taking during Chemo. I should be getting a call on Monday to schedule my first treatment.
ABVD
1. Adriamycin also known as Doxorubicin (doc-oh-ROO-bi-sin)
2. Bleomycin (blee-oh-MYE-sin)
3. Vinblastine (vin-BLAS-teen)
4. Dacarbazine (da-KAR-ba-zeen)

There is a pretty high chance that I am going to loose my hair. According to the nurse I will have chemo treatments every 15 days for 6 to 8 months. Each treatment takes about 4 hours. The day beofre each scheduled treatment I need to get blood drawn so they can check my white blood cell count. If it gets to low, I may have to delay that treatment until we can get it back up. I was given a lot of information, luckily Josh was there also to help me take it all in.

After the appointment, Josh took me to Target and let me pick out an Ipod so I can listen to music during my treatments. I bought an accordion folder to keep all my paperwork straight. It has a matching spiral binder so I can keep notes in. I also bought some puzzle books and a new John Grisham book. I'm not sure if I will feel like reading but just in case. So I decided I should also buy a tote bag to keep all of my stuff together. I'm trying to stay as organized as I can through this craziness.

My Oncologist wants me to get a Portacath (Port) in. I have an appointment July 6th for the consult. According to the booklet the nurse gave me; a port is a small plastic or metal container surgically placed under the skin and attached to a central venous catheter inside the body. Blood and fluids can enter or leave the body through the port using a special needle. The good news in, I won't be awake for that procedure.

On July 9th, I have to get another needle biopsy done. This time it is for bone marrow. When they did the needle biopsy last time into the tumor, I was awake for that. I believe I will be awake for the bone marrow biopsy. Some people have major phobias because of spiders, snakes or hieghts. Mine are needles and surgery. I really get myself worked up to the point I get nauseas. I spoke with the nurse about my fears yesterday and she told me that they will prescribe me a medicine that will make me not care what they do. :)

I should probably go get dressed for the day since its almost noon. Since I quit smoking I have put on some weight (which I really don't need) so I have decided that I am going to be as comfortable as I can through this process. I have invested in cotton shorts and pants with elastic waistbands. They are actually pajama pants, you know the ones with all the fun designs on them. The one's the teenagers where around town. I have Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Chilies, Plaid, and ones my sister-in-law gave me that are from Tennessee. I know these treatments are going to be tough on me, so I am going to try and be as comfortable as possible.

Okay, like I said earlier, its time to get my day moving. Thanks for taking the time to real my blog.

Love ya,
Jane

5 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Hey Jane!! Good idea with the trip to target and all of your purchases. Another thing you might want to bring with you to treatment is a blanket, usually hospital ones aren't as nice as your own. Oh yeah and lots of gatorade!! I also found that I'm a big fan of crystal light lemonade - only 5 calories and it's caffine free so you can hydrate!

As for the bone marrow biopsy - I'm not gonna lie, it hurts - alot. I'm like you and am not a fan of needles - I never look when they take my blood - so just make sure they really understand you hate needles - or ask to be put under for it. It's over pretty fast, but it wasn't fun.

I hope you got a great chemo nurse - they make all the difference! :)

Oh and GREAT idea for getting organized with your paperwork. Some people even say to write down all of your appts on a calendar so you know when you did things. Be sure to keep all of your receipts too - for co-pays, parking, scripts, etc because the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society will reimburse you up to $500 for expenses. You'll probably talk to a social worker at your hospital (if not, ask to) and they can give you paperwork to apply.

Yay for being organized and ready to make cancer your bitch!! Sorry this is so long :)

Kelly

Cindy said...

Jane, WOW is all I can say. I admire your courage and determination for starting this blog. It is so cool that you have Kelly as your birthday sister, she sounds awesome, sure would like to meet her one of these days! I am proud of you for fighting this head on, and not burying your head in the sand. I would expect nothing less from my daughter. Christmas 2007 here we come. I love you and am always here for you. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, wishing you well! my husband Chris www.hodgkinsdiary.blogspot.com was diagnosed in January, tonight he is on the town in Amsterdam after completing his chemo and radiation
(last one was Thursday).

The first time Chris went for chemo remember wishing we had bought a bag of goodies and reading material.

Chris' advise to anyone would be to have a blog, the people we have met (Kelly) have been very kind and inspirational to us.

Like you we have children 11,8,5-they have been amazing!! We so were upset and worried about telling them and what impact it would have on them but....today a friend came round with some flowers and a card for us ALL and Dan my 8 year old asked what it said, I read it to him and basically it said 'so pleased for you all, you have all done so well, have a great summer' Dan asked why he had done well and when my friend said 'well your Daddy has been poorly for a few months and you have been really good and looked after him'..Dans' reply was 'he wasn't poorly he was just lazy for a while!!'..how cute is that!!

Hope it all goes smoothly and you like Chris are out on the town in a few months.

Vickyxx

Sanbandit said...

Hi, found your blog through Kellys! Smart on havin a bag with goodies and what not, bring some water or gatorade maybe a couple munchies. When I had my bone marrow biopsy, the most painful part was just numbing the area on my rear and numbing the bone. We found out i have very hard bones and it was quite amusing as the doc was really getting a workout getting the needle through, but because i was all numbed up I didn't feel anytihng other then him pushin on me lol. And you're on your stomach so you can't even see the needles! I'm sure you found through Kelly she's keepin her hair though it's thinning, mine is really really thinning and i'm just about ready to shear it off and especially since it's summer I'll be cooler! Good luck with your treatments!! Best for you and your family!

Unknown said...

Hey, just read your blog. Your kids are so awesome :) And Josh too. That is cool to have him get you an ipod(i am now jealous, i really want one). That kind of consideration and caring isn't as common as it should be.

Love to you all
kendra