Friday, September 25, 2015

Not Quite What I Was Expecting

Got the results back for the thyroid test I took earlier this week.   Looks like I have an overactive thyroid aka hyperthyroidism. 

I got online and tried to do some research.  I recognize many symptoms but one that is losted makes me laugh. Weight loss...uh no my problem is weight gain. A person with hypothyroidism usually has weight gain.  My bodies just all screwed up. 

Below I copied some info to share,  just in case you have questions like I did. I do below is from the following site. EndocrineWeb 

Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland is overactive and makes excessive amounts of thyroid hormone. The thyroid gland is an organ located in the front of your neck and releases hormones that control your metabolism (the way your body uses energy), breathing, heart rate, nervous system, weight, body temperature, and many other functions in the body. When the thyroid gland is overactive (hyperthyroidism) the body’s processes speed up and you may experience nervousness, anxiety, rapid heartbeat, hand tremor, excessive sweating, weight loss, and sleep problems, among other symptoms.

Causes of Hyperthyroidism
The thyroid gland makes the hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) that play an important role in the way your whole body functions. If your thyroid gland makes too much T4 and T3, this is defined as hyperthyroidism.

The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is the autoimmune disorder Graves’ disease. In this disorder, the body makes an antibody (a protein produced by the body to protect against a virus or bacteria) called thyroid-stimulating immunoglobulin (TSI) that causes the thyroid gland to make too much thyroid hormone. Graves’ disease runs in families and is more commonly found in women.

Hyperthyroidism also may be caused by a toxic nodular or multinodular goiter, which are lumps or nodules in the thyroid gland that cause the thyroid to produce excessive amounts of thyroid hormones. In addition, inflammation of the thyroid gland—called thyroiditis—resulting from a virus or a problem with the immune system may temporarily cause symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Furthermore, some people who consume too much iodine (either from foods or supplements) or who take medications containing iodine (such as amiodarone) may cause the thyroid gland to overproduce thyroid hormones.

My Dr has prescribed me
LEVOTHYROXINE (lee voe thye ROX een) is a thyroid hormone. This medicine can improve symptoms of thyroid deficiency such as slow speech, lack of energy, weight gain, hair loss, dry skin, and feeling cold. It also helps to treat goiter (an enlarged thyroid gland). It is also used to treat some kinds of thyroid cancer along with surgery and other medicines.

Less common (side effects)
*Chest pain or discomfort
*decreased urine output
*difficult or labored breathing
*difficulty with swallowing
*dilated neck veins
*extreme fatigue
*fainting
*fast, slow, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
*fever
*heat intolerance
*hives or welts
*increased blood pressure
*increased pulse
*irregular breathing
*irritability
*menstrual changes
*nausea
*pain or discomfort in the arms, jaw, back, or neck
*shortness of breath
*skin itching, rash, or redness
*sweating
*swelling of the eyes, face, lips, throat, or tongue
*tightness in the chest
*tremors
*troubled breathing

Rare (side effects)
*Blurred or double vision
*dizziness
*eye pain
*lack or slowing of normal *growth in children
*limp or walk favoring one leg
*pain in the hip or knee
*seizures
*severe headache

I'm a little nervous about the side effects.  I already deal with some of those due to the other medications I take. But hey what can I do? 

I need to get my butt to bed so I can get up early with Hailey for the volleyball tournament.

Night! Night!

No comments: